Today is the third annual International Yoga Day, a holiday that celebrates one of the most mindful exercises you can take part in. Developed in Northern India over 5,000 years ago, it’s become a popular practice in the Western world during a time when we have hit an all-time high of stress levels, depression, anxiety, obesity and more. With attention focused on burning the candle at both ends to make money and move up in our careers, people are finally looking for ways to escape the rat race.
Yoga connects the mind, body and spirit as a means of union; tuning into the fundamental value of one’s full potential from the inside out. It’s been proven to help alleviate a plethora of health issues, including arthritis, asthma, back pain, depression, anxiety, insomnia and blood pressure.
Honorable Indian Prime Minister Mr. Narendra Modi gave a powerful speech in 2014 on why this day is so important, saying: “Yoga is an invaluable gift of India’s ancient tradition. It embodies unity of mind and body; thought and action; restraint and fulfillment; harmony between man and nature; a holistic approach to health and well-being. It is not about exercise but to discover the sense of oneness with yourself, the world and the nature.”
A day dedicated to celebrating the benefits and beauty of yoga means taking advantage of an opportunity to practice self-awareness. So whether you’ve already hit a class today or you’re interested in trying it out for the first time, let the following 13 yoga quotes inspire you to get on your mat.
- “Make an attitude to be in gratitude, you will find the whole Universe will come to you.” ~ Yogi Bhajan
- “Remember, it doesn’t matter how deep into a posture you go – what does matter is who you are when you get there.” ~ Max Strom
- “Be at least as interested in what goes on inside you as what happens outside. If you get the inside right, the outside will fall into place.” ~ Eckhart Tolle
- ”The rhythm of the body, the melody of the mind & the harmony of the soul create the symphony of life.” ~ B.K.S. Iyengar
- ”Yoga is the perfect opportunity to be curious about who you are.” ~ Jason Crandell
- “ Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built.” ~ Rumi
- “The attitude of gratitude is the highest yoga.” ~ Yogi Bhajan
- “Remember the emphasis on the heart. The mind lives in doubt and the heart lives in trust. When you trust, suddenly you become centered.” ~ Osho
- “Yoga does not remove us from the reality or responsibilities of everyday life but rather places our feet firmly and resolutely in the practical ground of experience. We don’t transcend our lives; we return to the life we left behind in the hopes of something better.” ~ Donna Farhi
- “Be a lamp to yourself. Be your own confidence. Hold on to the truth within yourself as to the only truth.” ~ Buddha
- “When the breath wanders the mind also is unsteady. But when the breath is calmed the mind too will be still, and the yogi achieves long life. Therefore, one should learn to control the breath.” ~ Hatha Yoga Pradipika
- “Yoga teaches us to cure what need not be endured and endure what cannot be cured.” ~ B.K.S. Iyengar
- “The yoga mat is a good place to turn when talk therapy and antidepressants aren’t enough.” ~ Amy Weintraub