Flip through any fashion or fitness magazine and you’ll see tons of women with the “perfect body” – perfect stomach, long lean legs, and toned arms.
But, what is perfect? The perfect body doesn’t exist. Society pressures women to look a certain way and if we don’t look that certain way then we’re not considered beautiful.
It’s time to rebel! Who cares what society says? Women’s bodies come in all shapes, sizes, and colors and we’re perfect just the way we are. So many of us kill ourselves to get a flat stomach, but for many of us, it’s just not in our cards. Some women, due to their genetics, carry more fat around their bellies. Instead of focusing on getting a perfect stomach or six-pack abs, focus on a strong core.
Perfect Female Belly Exercise
Every woman has a layer of fat over her stomach. It’s there to help protect our vital organs. While some fat is good, if you want a flat stomach then chances are you need to lose some body fat. Generally, women will start to see muscle definition and flat stomach when they reach about 18-20% body fat percentage. To lose body fat you need to eat and exercise right.
Best Workouts for Women: Good Routines, Great Results
You’ve probably heard the saying before – “abs are made in the kitchen.” Research studies have shown that eating a healthy diet, exercising, and reducing your body fat percentage will help you reduce the subcutaneous fat, the fat under your skin, around your gut.
Every woman is unique so what works for one woman might not work for you, but we’ve provided some guidelines to help you reach your goals. And even if you can’t get a flat “perfect” stomach, if you have a strong core, that’s what really matters.
How to Eat for the Perfect Belly
If you want to know how to get a nice stomach, first you’ll need to lose body fat percentage, which is best achieved through healthy eating. That means ditching sugar. Several studies have found that excess sugar, mostly in the form of fructose, can lead to increased belly fat. Added sugar can be found in just about any food product so make sure you check the labels before eating or buying a product.
Protein is your new best friend when it comes to losing weight. Protein has been shown to reduce food craving by as much as 60% and boost your metabolism throughout the day. Aim to eat a serving of protein with every meal and snack. Foods like eggs, fish, meat, dairy products, and legumes are all high in protein. Many women struggle to eat enough protein in their diets so you might want to consider a quality protein supplement like a whey protein shake.
Cut the carbs. Low carb diets were once considered to be just another fad diet, but new research has shown that low-carb diets can lead to up to three times more weight loss than low-fat diets. To reduce your carbohydrate consumption, cut out the white breads, pastas, and rice. Make sure you keep your proteins high, carbs low and you’ll be on your way to a perfect stomach.
Belly Exercises to Get a Flat Stomach
Once you have mastered your diet, it’s time to focus on flat belly exercise. Exercise has many health benefits, including weight loss. Aerobic exercise, like running, cycling, and walking, are a great way to burn calories and reduce belly fat. But, don’t forget about strength training. Strength training boosts your metabolism and makes you strong.
Compound exercises, like squats, lunges, pull-ups, push-ups, and overhead presses, work large muscle groups that in return can burn more fat and is how to get a flat belly with exercise. Aim to do at least two full body strength workouts a week to boost your fat burning capabilities.
In addition to your cardio and strength training workouts, you also perform belly exercise at least three times a week. Once your belly fat melts away, you want your strong abs and perfect stomach to show. Even if you can’t achieve the visible six-pack, a strong core improves your posture, balance, and reduces lower back pain among other benefits. Add these exercises to your flat belly exercise routine today:
- Flutter Kicks
- Planks & Side Planks
- Russian Twist
- Toe Taps
- Bird Dog
Or try our 30 Day Abs Exercise Challenge!
Losing belly fat is possible with a healthy diet and the right flat belly exercise routine. Even if you can’t achieve a flat stomach, a strong core is important.
These women know exactly how to get a flat belly with exercise — check them out for a little motivation!
1. Jennifer Lopez – With a string of new shows coming up, this beauty still finds time to work out so she rock her costumes on stage.
2. Beyonce – Even while pregnant with twins, this woman knows how to steal the show. Or just break the internet with this stunning photo.
3. Nicole Scherzinger – This beauty is a big believer in running, dancing, and tons of squats to get her body swimsuit ready.
4. Bar Rafaeli – This Sports Illustrated swimsuit model has no problem showing off her baby bump.
5. Elsa Pataky – This Fast & Furious 6 star heads to Venice Beach to stay in shape. She strength trains at least twice a week and practices yoga or Pilates three times a week.
6. Gwen Stefani – Even after having two kids, it’s possible to get your flat belly back!
7. Katharine McPhee – Smash star, Katharine McPhee, shows us that it’s okay to treat yo’ self with something tasty. Just don’t overdo it.
8. Cameron Diaz – Actress turned author believes that women’s bodies come in all shapes and sizes.
9. Jillian Michaels – Celebrity trainer, Jillian Michaels, walks the walk when it comes to being fit and healthy.
10. Naya Rivera – Former Glee star, Naya Rivera, just had her first baby not too long ago. While it may seem impossible to get your pre-baby body back, Naya shows us it is possible with a lot of hard work and dedication.
11. Maria Menounos – Celebrity TV personality, Maria Menounos, loves to change up her workout so it doesn’t feel like a chore.
12. Jessica Biel – Eating healthy is a huge part of getting a flat belly.
13. Jo Menses – Jo Menses, the founder of BodyRoots Fitness, is a yoga and Pilates instructor.
14. Jessamyn Stanley – Yoga instructor and author, Jessamyn Stanley, might not have the flat stomach that society thinks we should have, but she is strong and beautiful and that is all that matters.
15. Rachel Brathen – Yoga Girl, Rachel Brathen, is showing off her 10-day post-partum baby belly. Women’s bellies go through incredible changes during pregnancy that should be honored and loved.
16. Alicia Archer – Fitness instructor, Alicia Archer, proves that a strong core allows you to do anything you dreamed of – even these crazy yoga poses!
17. Selena Gomez – Selena Gomez doesn’t believe in scales and you shouldn’t either. Just throw it out! Instead, focus on how your clothes feel. You’ll see a difference in your body in no time.
18. Kayla Itsines – Kayla Itsines has been helping thousands of women across the globe lose weight and get fit with flat belly exerces.
19. Emily Skye – Fitness trainer and owner of a perfect stomach, Emily Skype, believes that eating right is half the battle to getting the flat belly you want.
20. Massy Arias – Professional fitness trainer, Massy Arias, proves that you’ll recover faster post-partum if you stay active throughout your pregnancy.
21. Heidi Powell – Heidi Powell used to suffer from eating disorders as a gymnast, but she has discovered that strong is better than skinny.
22. Anna Victoria – The Fit Body Guides founder, Anna Victoria, believes in lifting weights for a bikini ready body.
23. Misty Copeland – Dancers have the ultimate body! The incorporate diets like the paleo diet to stay toned throughout.
24. Tracy Anderson – The Tracy Anderson Method is popular amongst many celebrities like Gwyneth Paltrow who swears by her methods on how to get a nice stomach.
25. Natalie Uhling – Under Armour Ambassador and creator of NUFit knows how to create strong cores. Just ask her followers!
26. Becci Holcomb – Strong abs come in all shapes and sizes. Just because they might have a layer of fat over them doesn’t mean they are weak. Just ask USAPL powerlifter Becci Holcomb who can lift way more weight than you!
27. Ewa Januszkiewicz – Female bodybuilder, Ewa Januszkiewicz is all about women empowerment and lifting heavy.
28. Cara Marie – MTV reality star and fitness trainer, Cara Marie, stays fit by teaching kickboxing in Montana.
29. Elisabeth Akinwale – Bellies come in all shapes and sizes. The best come in strong.
30. Kate Upton – Swimsuit model, Kate Upton, loves to start her days with a little yoga as the perfect flat belly exercise.