Shaping the shoulders
The muscles that give your shoulders that sexy rounded shape are the deltoids, and full deltoids are the cherry on top of strong, shapely arms. Well developed shoulders also help create the shape of an hourglass figure, even if your tata department is tame.
The deltoid is composed of three bundles of muscle fibers, and this workout ensures you’ll hit all three for optimal shape.
This workout can be done 2-3 times a week on it’s own, or after you do other arm exercises. The deltoids are rather small, yet assist with many different movements. You don’t want to tucker them out until after they’ve helped with your other work.
Do 3 sets of 15 repetitions of each exercise. You could do a circuit, alternating between exercises until you’ve done 3 sets of each, or you could complete 3 sets of one exercise (with 1 minute of rest between sets) before moving on to the next. Either way, please do them in the order listed.
Stick to high reps and lighter weight. Pick a dumbbell weight you can do for 15 repetitions (think 3-5 lbs) that’s challenging by the 15th rep but you can still complete with good form. Move up in weight when you can easily do 20 reps.
- If you do these exercises after other arm exercises, your shoulders are warm.
- If you do not, jump rope or do jumping jacks for 2-3 minutes.
Overhead Dumbbell Press
- Stand tall with feet shoulder width distance apart or slightly wider. Your elbows will be bent so the weights are by your shoulders and stacked right over your elbows.
- Inhale. As you exhale, engage your core and slowly press the dumbbells overhead, keeping the weight in line with your shoulders.
- Inhale to lower with control, and repeat until repetitions are complete.
- Same stance as above. Lower your arms to your sides and then rotate your arms so that your knuckles point forward and your hands are in front of your thighs. Do not roll your shoulders or lean forward.
- Inhale. As you exhale, lift your arms in front of you to shoulder level. Keep your shoulder blades on your back, your head neutral and your core engaged. Pause for a second at the top of the motion.
- Inhale to lower, and repeat.
- Bring the dumbbells to meet in front of you, and hinge forward from your hips just slightly. Keep the spine straight the the shoulders back, and your arms will be engaged and slightly curved. For balance and good posture bring your weight back into your heels. This forward angle of the torso ensures you hit the back part of the deltoid.
- Inhale to start, and as you exhale draw your belly button up and in and raise your arms up and to the sides.
- Pause for a moment before inhaling and slowly lowering your weights down to the starting position.
Repeat until you’re done!
Also check out this sexy thighs workout!